Are you ready to get down with D&D. I know I am as is the mad wizard. It’s community topics this week as we touch on the Polymorph spell as a starting point and then move over to if you should let new players bend or break the rules because they’re trying to be awesome or keeping them reigned in. After that we go back to the Underdark to chat with Breunor Battlehammer and wrangle another two dozen plus NPCs. I’m totally feeling it as we get down.
Tag Archive: D&D
Feb 01 2016
Hey Folks. We were at Running GAGG and thought we’d record some stuff a our panel of play better games damn it so we did with Shawn Merwin from Down with D&D and John Arcadian, Webmaster to the stars. Both are members of the Encoded Designs consortium and we talk about Encoded a bit before taking questions from the audience. This is sort of a bonus episode but since in numerical order the Star Wars special threw things off I decided to number it so we can have Episode 200 fall on March 22nd.
1:40 – What’s Going On
8:10 – The Lab & Questions from the audience
Jan 28 2016
Are you ready to get down with some D&D? I know I am and it’s all fangs and brooding and other new things in D&D this week as we cover as many new and interesting things as we can so strap in, throw on some shades, get your SPF one thousand, and lets get down.
Jan 21 2016
Getting down means getting out this time as the PCs need to escape from the Underdark in chapter 7 of Out of the Abyss. Segment two has us looking at Kits of Old and how the most recent Unearthed Arcana article is updating a few of them. Remember, you gotta get down to get up. Peace.
Jan 20 2016
Wrestling, grabbing, pinning, and other grapples are on the mat in this episode of the Misdirected Mark Podcast. We break down the mechanic in a variety of games and then talk about its relevance and hack-ability in games.
1:06 – What’s Going On
10:05 – The Garage: Grappling
1:01:12 – The EDSMD
1:21:58 – Podcast Round Up
Jan 18 2016
Are you ready to get down with a special not in continuity episode of Down with D&D. We’re throwing back to the OG with Cindy Moore in the house to talk how the DMs Guild and OGL are messing or not messing with the Adventurer’s League and everything going on there. We also hear about what Cindy is working on and has worked on in the past. Check it out.
Jan 14 2016
0:46 – What’s New in D&D
- Vault of the drow walk through poster
- D&D Podcast with The Adventure Zone
- Orcus wallpaper download
- Character resolutions on the D&D Tumbler.
- Over Hill and Underdark – article about the history of the Underdark.
- Kits of Old
4:51 – What is the DMs Guild?
Jan 13 2016
Hey Folks. Are you ready to rumble as we dive into the deep end of the ring and see what kinds of stories conflict among the party can bring out. Then this is the right episode for you. We also get into the social media depository, talk about some announcements from Encoded Designs, round up some podcasts, and update the weight loss challenge. Enjoy and we’ll talk to you next week about Grappling. We did Encumbrance and made it interesting, we can do Grappling.
1:20 – What’s Going On
11:50 – The Workshop: Intraparty Conflict
52:24 – The EDSMD
1:09:28 – Podcast Round Up
Jan 06 2016
Hey Folks. We’re talking about the narrative and how it is, surround, and binds mechanics together today. We also hit the EDMS depository, and talk podcasts as we always do. There’s also the 2016 weight loss challenge. Take a listen to see what it’s all about.
1:35 – What’s Going On
13:16 – The Study: Narrative Positioning
- Definition – How what the players have their characters do in the play affects the mechanics of the game.
- Play – The game as it’s occurring
- Mechanics – dice rolls, modifiers, etc
- What does this do in a game?
- It makes what the players describe important.
- It allows players who are creative in their descriptions to engage the mechanics of the game.
- It reinforces more colorful descriptions of actions.
- Challenges of Narrative Positioning
- Takes some players a bit of getting use to.
- Not everyone enjoys that level of narrative in their game.
- Games That Do This
- 5e D&D
- Dungeon World
- Fate Accelerated
- Key Points / Summary
- Hacking This Into Another Game
- Easy, just make sure there needs to be a narrative component in order to engage any mechanic.
56:01 – The EDSM Depository
1:03:45 – Podcast Chat
Dec 31 2015
Dec 21 2015
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. It is time to get down. It was a tough week of illness and other things but I’m finally through it and ready to bring you this hot new edition of Down with D&D. Shawn and myself, this is Chris by the way, are gonna dish on Neverlight Grove and the Zuggtmoy that Cthulhu’d up and went crazy. We also talk about that old black magic which is the topic of the most recent Unearthed Arcana and cover the new stuff in D&D.
In other news we have a G+ community just for Down with D&D these days and you can get there and join up by clicking on this link.
If we get to a 100 members by January 1st Shawn and I will give away a free adventure to every member of the community. Cool huh. As of this writing we’re already at 79 people so come on and join up because everyone loves free stuff.OotA bumper music by: Lino Rise Title: Jingle Avalon Source: www.free-intro-music.com
Nov 03 2015
Are. You. Readdyyyyyyy to get Down. We are we’re getting a little bit wet in the Darklake as we explore chapter three of Out of the Abyss. We’re also going over what’s new in D&D and the most recent Dragon+. Hope you enjoy and feel free to send us some feedback.
Oct 12 2015
Are you ready to get down with some D&D. I hope you are because we’re talking a bit about prestige classes and the Tome of Beasts Kickstarter and then we’re gonna delve into chapter one of Out of the Abyss. Kick the beat MC Mad Wizard, or at least the kobold.
Nov 03 2014
Hey everybody. Chris here from the DwD&D crew. Sorry we’re a bit late on this one but we’re here and we hope you enjoy this Monster Manual overview and our look at the Barbarian.
Aug 27 2014
GenCon, Factions, and Magical Classes
What is up. We’re back at the game table for another round of Down with D&D. This time we talk about D&D at GenCon, the factions that are used in Adventure’s League play, and the Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock. We’re sans the Unstoppable Force, Alex Swingle, due to the internet, pesky tubes and clouds but that’s ok because our very own Regional Admin for the Adventurers League, Cindy Moore, helps me in filling the hole as best as we can. Hope you enjoy.
Jul 16 2014
Hey folks. Chris here with the newest show on Misdirected Mark Productions “Down with D&D” and no, we’re not down on D&D but down with it. My Co-host Cindy Moore is the newest addition to the Misdirected Mark family and together we talk about The Tyranny of Dragons, Tier’s of Play, and the Diversity section of the basic rules. Let us know what you think and we’ll talk to you in two weeks.
Jul 10 2014
Hey Folks. This week Chris and Phil chat about The Improv Tool Kit and Creative Constraint while things are heating up with the yearly story as the villain makes their first appearance on the mics. Hope you enjoy and feel free to leave feedback. We always want to get better.
- L.U.G. Con (Let Us Game: All day and all night Convention!)
- Mechanical Bard: Ninth World Tales
- Evil Hat is looking for Playtesters for War of the Ashes
- D&D Basic Rules
- Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set: Fantasy Roleplaying Fundamentals (D&D Boxed Game)
- Blood Bowl coming soon on iOS and Android
- Zombiecide Season 3
- Stray’s – Kid friendly Fate Accelerated
- Short Order Heroes – Locations:
- Ross & Sean’s Big Denver Adventure happening this week.
- Pro Level Gaming’s D&D Starter Launch Party
- Collectors Inn
Sunday July 13th – UFS demo’s at 2pm.
Saturday July 19th – Golem Arcana Demo’s at 3pm.
- The Mad Wizard’s article on Critical Hits: A D&D Lover’s guide to DW
- Dresden Files Accelerated RPG playtest should be live sometime towards the end of July.
- Hero Forge partners with Shapeways
- Encoded Designs is gearing up for a bunch of information in the next week or two.
- The Hood – slow start, but solid session, tensions building
- Airy Peaks – good god what a great session
- Shadowrun Returns – loving it, but had to rewind
- Minecraft – Diamonds Steve’s best friend.
- Airy Peaks,
- The Hood
- Shadowrun Returns
- Lords of Waterdeep: A Dungeons & Dragons Board Game
Workshop – Improv Tools and Constrained Creativity
Recent Gnome Stew article: http://www.gnomestew.com/gming-advice/improv-toolkit/
- Drone films Fireworks
Jun 18 2014
Hey Folks. This week I hang out with Garrett Crowe from Threat Detected and the MMPs secret weapon Drew Smith. We get into the idea of what the railroad means to us and some ways to avoid and deal with it along with many of the regular segments and a visit from Friend Computer.
Sponsors for the Show: Level 99 Games
3:49 – Intro
9:28 – Bar
- Age of Cthulhu #8 – Starfall over the Plateau of Leng
- Servants of the Cinder Queen – a DW adventure, only $3 to back at PDF level
- Hipster Pinball Night
30:01 – Gameroom
1) D&D Encounters
3) Cthulhu Wars
2) The Hood
4) Marvel Puzzle Quest
3) Star Wars Edge of The Empire Campaign
46:47 – Workshop – The Railroad and what does it really mean?
1:12:12 – Geekery
1) Apocalypse Codex
Jun 12 2014
Hey Folks. This week the Mad Wizard Merwin is back into the house and bringing some of his magical mayhem to talk about the newest version of Dungeons and Dragons. There also might be a troll sighting. Enjoy and feel free to leave feedback here and let us know how we’re doing.
2:29 – Intro
3:40 – Bar
Heat kickstarter by Dave Chalker – It’s over but you might be able to get a copy if you contact Asmadi Games
Gameday at Dark Forest on Saturday
Unframed Pre-orders still open
Recorded Lounge interview with Martin Ralya
25:16 – Gameroom
1) Manhattan Project
2) Airy Peaks
1) Manhattan Project
2) Airy Peaks
3) Marvel Puzzle Quest
1) Love Letter
2) Lords of Waterdeep/Ascension for iOS
3) D&D 5e Playtests
40:49 – Workshop – D&D Cometh
1:35:13 – Geekery
1) Finished Unframed
Phil & Chris
1) Xmen days of futures past
Jun 04 2014
Hey folks, this week we get down and dirty in the workshop first talking about a little about designing games with professor McGowan and then Phil and I go inside the apocalypse engine and how it is an awesome game for getting you to be an excellent GM faster. Hope you enjoy.
Sponsors for the Show – Level 99 Games
0:53 – Intro
1:55 – Bar
- A!C Fate Keepers Guide has released to backers. This completes the Fate Set making A!C able to be run in three systems.
- Dark Forest Games is having a board game day on Saturday, June 14th this month.
- RonCon is the 19th at 168 Payne Avenue, North Tonawanda, NY 14120. $5 donation for the space
- QCC Planning meeting this past Sunday
22:39 – Gameroom
1) Savage Elhal – more swing ness at the table
2) The Hood – setup of the game
3) Minecraft – more exploration
1) The Hood
2) Disaster at Descent
3) Marvel Dice Masters
36:13 – Workshop one
Conversing about designing games with Professor McGowan
1:00:59 – Workshop two
Apocalypse World as a way to better GMing
1:48:24 – Geekery
1) Epic Rap Battle of History Season 3
3) Another trip to Madness Games
1) Skin Game
May 29 2014
Hey Folks. This week we have Ron and Dan in the brand new War Room where we get to know them and talk about miniatures 101. Also Phil is sick with atomic poisoning and I’m looking around for my friend professor McGowan who’s supposed to fix the portal.
Sponsors for the Show – Level 99 Games
0:48 – Intro
1:22 – Bar
- Ryan Macklin breaks down how to handle conflicts and contests and their various permutations. This might be a must read for all Fate GMs.
- Origins is June 11-15. The Mad Wizard Merwin will be there running some new D&D stuff on Saturday and Sunday.
- D&D is free and Organized Play
- 3EG announces Infestation: a Game of Bugs and Heroes. Infestation is the third game to use the company’s Pip System, previously used for Mermaid Adventures and Camp Myth: The RPG.
- Dark Forest Games is having a Game Day on the second Saturday of the Month which is June 14th. It starts at noon. Mark is usually there all day playing board games.
- Saturday May 31st is also a Warmachine/Hordes Tournament at Dark Forest Games.
- QCC update: Mark and I are plugging away moving data from the Kickstarter to the QCC site getting everything updated and ready.
- MGC has started up a Demo Team but it’s a little more than a demo team. You can get the details at the link in the show notes.
- Deadlands TV Show through Microsoft also a Halo TV show produced by Steven Spielberg.
- Piazo is looking for an Editor. You can get more information from the link in the show notes.
10:15 – Gameroom
1) Krossmaster Arena
2) Bang the Dice Game
3) Dungeon World
4) Fate of Elhal
5) Marvel Puzzle Quest
6) Johann Sebastian Joust
19:52 – The War Room – Introductions
- Dan and Ron
- First Games
- Painting 101
1:01:31 – Geekery
- Godzilla and $5 movies at Regal.
Mar 27 2014
Hey Folks. This week I learn we have a garage and it needs an access card or a portal gun. In there we pull apart Multidimensional Dice as a mechanic and then we chat about Making Story Happen on the Grid and ways you can keep the narrative strong when the mini’s and the maps come out.
1:06 – Intro
2:23 – Watercooler
The One Page Dungeon Contest
All Rolled Up is turning 1 year old. – Phil’s Gnome Stew article on All Rolled Up
Dungeon Elementary –
Icons Assembled Edition
Shop Till You Drop by Mike Merals
Coming to DnDClassics this week:
Eberron Campaign Setting (3E Eberron)
Mind Lords of the Last Sea (2E Dark Sun)
Circle of Darkness (2E Ravenloft)
FRA3 Blood Charge (2E Forgotten Realms)
SJA1 Wildspace (2E Spelljammer)
and looking ahead to next week:
Thri-Kreen of Athas (2E Dark Sun)
RM1 Roots of Evil (2E Ravenloft)
The Gothic Earth Gazetteer (2E Ravenloft)
WGR5 Iuz the Evil (2E Greyhawk)
SJQ1 Heart of the Enemy (2E Spelljammer)
22:34 – The Garage — Multidimensional Dice
39:58 – Gameroom
Marvel Puzzle Quest
League of Legends
More Minecraft! On the iPad a well as PC
Scattagories (parents house)
Ticket to Ride (parents house)
52:03 – Workshop – Making story happen on the battle map.
1:09:26 – Geekery
Mar 13 2014
Hey Folks. Chris here and I’d just like to say thanks to everyone for listening these past two years. Going forward there will be some changes but this last year and the story we’ve been telling with all the gaming, game mastering, and entertaining we’ve been doing has been great, and fear not, there will be an episode 105 and a year 3. So I hope you enjoy and feel free to let us know what you thought of this episode.
Batman Arkahm Knight
State of the Hat
Katana’s and Trench coats
Bruce Cordell on Ordering Art
Everyone is John
Nathan Poletta’s Wrestling Game
International Boardgame Day
The Queen City Conquest Kicksarter
Dec 01 2013
Hey Folks. For this special Patreon episode I’ve managed to coerce Teos Abadia and The Mad Wizard Merwin to join myself and the informant Rob Dorgan to lay the skinny on Organized Play on you. The conversation was quite good…hey, what the heck. I didn’t authorize thi… Pay no head to those words. They’re just a little interference in the signal. Anyways, enjoy the show.
Nov 20 2013
Hey Folks. This week we have Garrett Crowe on to talk about Threat Detected and his campaign he finally finished, after three years. All that’s left is to roll out the rest of the audio. So we’re gonna talk about really long games. Garrett is also here to hone Marks skill with the force so Mark can finally catch that Evil Hat.
0:41 – Intro
Jedi Master Garrett Crowe from Threat Detected
2:11 – Watercooler
Evil Beagle games Typhoon Relief Charity Bundle
Joan “The Game” Nobile is our New AOA&E (Audio Operations Advisors & Engineer.
Cthulhu Britanica kickstarter
Amanda Valentines Daughter writes about gender discrimination.
Evil Hat Street Team Bump
The Corporia Kickstarter
Breaking down the Fate Core kickstarter financially
Eathbound Time Lords
Level 99’s newest game. Argent the Consortium
16:33 – Gameroom
Tomb of Horrors
25:56 – Workshop The Long Game – Chatting about long campaigns.
1:04:30 – Geekery
Chris – Constantine and the Flash coming on WB. Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and the Defenders coming on Netflix.
Garrett – Turkey Day is back
Mark – Arkahm Nights is a thing and in Toronto