Hey Folks. We’re talking about the narrative and how it is, surround, and binds mechanics together today. We also hit the EDMS depository, and talk podcasts as we always do. There’s also the 2016 weight loss challenge. Take a listen to see what it’s all about.
1:35 – What’s Going On
13:16 – The Study: Narrative Positioning
- Definition – How what the players have their characters do in the play affects the mechanics of the game.
- Play – The game as it’s occurring
- Mechanics – dice rolls, modifiers, etc
- What does this do in a game?
- It makes what the players describe important.
- It allows players who are creative in their descriptions to engage the mechanics of the game.
- It reinforces more colorful descriptions of actions.
- Challenges of Narrative Positioning
- Takes some players a bit of getting use to.
- Not everyone enjoys that level of narrative in their game.
- Games That Do This
- 5e D&D
- Dungeon World
- Fate Accelerated
- Key Points / Summary
- Hacking This Into Another Game
- Easy, just make sure there needs to be a narrative component in order to engage any mechanic.
56:01 – The EDSM Depository