We strive to uplift voices from all types of gaming and all walks of life. While we firmly believe that all of our hosts share this goal with us, we also acknowledge that we should clearly communicate expectations of what that means when a guest reflects on the network as a whole. We are not against controversial guests, however we can’t accept guest propositions that will reflect negatively on the network, or by extension Encoded Designs. Our primary goal in our community remains the safety and inclusion of our listeners, many of whom are marginalized genders, LGBTQ+, or POC.
To this end, we will consider guests for future episodes in three tiers:
Guests who are safe require no further vetting from Misdirected Mark. A safe guest:
- Does not have a history of harassment or beliefs which include harming others emotionally or socially
- Is in good standing with the community at large
- Can be expected to act in accordance with our community guidelines
This has previously covered 90% of guests and we expect that it will continue to do so.
Guests who are questionable should be run by Chris and Senda with some basic information on what makes them questionable. A questionable guest:
- May have unproven accusations of problematic behavior (harassment, racism, sexism, etc.)
- May be in opposition to a part of the gaming community
- May have unpredictable results in previous interviews
Guests who are controversial should be run by Chris and Senda with specific information on why they are controversial, as well as why they should be interviewed. A controversial guest:
- May have proven accusations of problematic behavior (harassment, racism, sexism etc.)
- May have fringe belief structures (including but not limited to Neo-Nazis and Neo-Nazi associations)
- May have a history of internet toxicity
- Has a history of behavior in opposition to our community guidelines if they were a part of our social spaces
For questionable and controversial guests, alert Senda and Chris via Slack at least a week prior to recording an interview. Please tell us why it’s important to share their voice and what events or connections may make them questionable or controversial. We will discuss with you and do our best to come to a determination as a group. In some circumstances we may need to seek feedback from other hosts on the network to make sure that everyone effected has a chance to weigh in. The final decision on if we can air an episode will fall to Chris and Senda if we cannot come to an agreement.
It’s our responsibility as hosts and as a network to hold our podcast guests to the same standards that we hold our community. We don’t wish to block out voices, but we will not accept toxicity in the name of inclusion when it makes any of our members unsafe. We expect our hosts to do the quick legwork to know which of these tiers their guests fall in to so that we can be responsible going forward.